Flower power at pretty show
FELSTED S Memorial Hall looked bloomin lovely as Felsted Garden Club held its autumn show on Saturday. Tables lining the hall were loaded with a selection of flowers, fruits and vegetables and competition for the coveted cups was fierce with exhibitors t
FELSTED'S Memorial Hall looked bloomin' lovely as Felsted Garden Club held its autumn show on Saturday.
Tables lining the hall were loaded with a selection of flowers, fruits and vegetables and competition for the coveted cups was fierce with exhibitors talking of bumper crops to choose from.
Glynis Smith had a very successful day winning the Alderton Staines cup for the most points in the show, The Alfred Waller trophy for fuchsias, and the Potash trophy for floral art.
Mrs Smith was especially pleased to win the RHS Banksian Medal for the most points in horticulture over the spring and autumn shows.
You may also want to watch:
Ken Turner won the vegetable section and his huge curved marrow a bit like a boomerang took the trophy for novelty vegetables.
Alison Moore and George Bellingham-Smith won the Harry Unwin trophy to share for their efforts in the fruit classes.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
John Grimshaw won the Barton Shield for his dahlias. He entered 11 classes and got a first in 10 of them.
To end the line-up Peter Whitman won the Mansfield trophy for his rose exhibits with judges commenting on the lovely perfume coming from them.
In total, 32 people including children took part in the show and there were more than