Firefighters tackle chimney blaze

PUBLISHED: 10:02 10 November 2014 | UPDATED: 10:06 10 November 2014

Cambs Fire & Rescue Service

Firefighters tackled a chimney fire at a home in Hatfield Broad Oak.

One crew from Leaden Roding attended the blaze at Crabbs Green after being alerted shortly after 2pm on Saturday.

A spokesman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said: “Incidents like this show why it is so important for people with real fires to get their chimneys cleaned every year. As winter finally arrives in Essex those who enjoy the warm glow of an open fire should make sure that they get their chimney’s properly cleaned before they light the grate.

“A build up of soot and ash can ignite in the chimney can easily catch fire. Chimney fires are not only dangerous but can cause a great deal of damage as they burn and through the actions our crews have to take to deal with these fires.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast