Fire service issues advice about smoking following house fire in Great Dunmow

PUBLISHED: 09:31 29 May 2017

A fire started by a discarded cigarette was attended in Great Dunmow yesterday (May 28).

A fire started by a discarded cigarette was attended in Great Dunmow yesterday (May 28).


Essex County Fire & Rescue has issued advice about smoking after attending a cigarette-started fire in Great Dunmow yesterday morning (May 28).

Crews from Braintree, Dunmow and Stansted were called to a property in Willow Road around 11.40am, after a discarded cigarette caused a kitchen fire.

On arrival, firefighters reported that the house was 50% smoke-logged but managed to extinguish the blaze by 12.10pm.

Positive pressure ventilation fans were then used to clear the house of smoke.

An investigation has since found the cause of the fire to be accidental, after a cigarette, which was not completely out, was thrown in a plastic bin.

To avoid similar incidents, the service says it is important to make sure all cigarettes are fully extinguished, to never leave them unattended, use a heavy ashtray that cannot tip over easily, and to fit and maintain a working fire alarm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast