Fire damages 600-year-old pub
FIRE threatened to engulf a 600 year old pub on Thursday night. Most of the residents in Great Bardfield reported seeing the blaze, which started in the chimney of The Bell Inn pub, situated right in the centre of the village. Firefighters battled for th
FIRE threatened to engulf a 600 year old pub on Thursday night.
Most of the residents in Great Bardfield reported seeing the blaze, which started in the chimney of The Bell Inn pub, situated right in the centre of the village.
Firefighters battled for three hours to bring it under control and, using an aerial platform called in from Colchester, the flames were dampened by 11pm.
Sub officer Steve Morris, from Thaxted fire station, said: "This was a really old building, and within the chimney affected by the fire were several smaller chimneys, that at one stage had been used to heat different parts of the property, but now have been blocked off.
You may also want to watch:
"So, before we could get to tackling the seat of the fire we had to remove a lot of nesting materials and parts of the older chimneys by cutting up and out through the walls of the pub."
A pub spokesman said: "The fire was not too serious, but we did suffer quite a lot of smoke damage, but we will be open for business as usual.
- 1 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 2 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 3 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 4 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Tens of thousands of pounds worth of horse riding gear stolen in High Easter
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 'This is my life version 2.0' - Doctor marks Covid anniversary with fundraising efforts
- 9 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 10 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford