Finchingfield named best place to live in Essex
- Credit: Su Anderson
Finchingfield is one of the best places to live in the East of England, according to a guide that has just been published.
The village comes sixth, with another village in Essex, Terling, coming seventh.
Ten places have been named as the top residences in the East of England with Orford, Suffolk being crowned as the ultimate des res. Rosario Coverdale, a Finchingfield resident who co-ordinated the opening of a new outdoor gym in the village which began operating last week, said: “My husband has been here 40 years and I have been here 20, and we are blessed to live in such a beautiful place.
“The community is terrific, there is a lot of community spirit, with a cross-section of ages, and there are a lot of services.
“Our tea rooms are thriving and even in the winter there are coach-loads of people visiting our delightful village – which has a magnificent view down the hill, whether it is a crisp bright winter morning or a warm balmy summer’s evening.
You may also want to watch:
“We also have the Guildhall which is a great venue for art and events, and there is a lot going on.
“We are definitely one of the best places to live, we are very blessed. I have lived in Chelmsford and come from Belfast, and this place calms a troubled heart.”
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Hospice at home service in seventh year but Covid impact 'challenging'
- 3 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 4 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 5 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 6 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 7 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 8 Archaeologists find remains of Iron Age village
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
The guide has been published in the The Sunday Times and places were rated taking into account crime rates, house prices and school performance.
They were selected for offering the best quality of life to the widest number of people, and combining desirable features such as a positive community spirit, good shops and services and attractive outdoor spaces.
The top 10 places in the East of England in order are Orford, Suffolk, Biddenham, Bedfordshire, The Abingtons, Cambridgeshire, Defreville, just north of Cambridge city, Houghton, near Huntingdon, Finchingfield, Terling, Holt and Thorpe St Andrew, both in Norfolk, and Framlingham, Suffolk.
The guide is in two parts. The first focused on the Southeast, East, North East, Yorkshire, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales.
Is where you live better than Finchingfield? Let us know why by emailing email@example.com.