Felsted WI celebrates 95 years
- Credit: Archant
CELEBRATIONS were once again on the agenda for Felsted WI as the group marked 95 years since its inaugural meeting in 1918.
The WI only recently celebrated 35 years of evening meetings, but marked another milestone at its meeting last month. Members were treated to a special performance by the WI Choir, directed by Roger Lawrence and accompanied by George Smith, followed by a talk by Gwen Edwards on her hobby of scrapbooking.
After enjoying tea and homemade cakes, they then listened to Audrey Shepherd sharing memories of her life in Burma and Vera Butcher relating some history about Felsted village. Alison Moore recounted the mystery of the missing Felsted WI tablecloth and there was also a quiz on 1918 events.
President Margaret Smith compared the current WI meetings with those recorded in the 1918 minute book, and members discovered to their surprise that proceedings hadn’t changed all that much in 95 years, although the subscription fees had increased slightly from the two shillings charged at that time.
Spokesperson Ilene Thawley said: “It was a very enjoyable evening and a wonderful opportunity for Felsted’s thriving WI group to celebrate a significant anniversary.”
You may also want to watch:
Felsted WI meets on the second Wednesday of each month (except August) at 7.45pm in the Memorial Hall. New members are welcome.
- 1 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 2 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 3 Stop Stansted Expansion accused of leading council 'over the cliff'
- 4 Grandmother rescued from muddy field in Little Bardfield
- 5 Trees are planted in Great Bardfield
- 6 Covid jabs have started at Broomfield Hospital's Vaccination Hub
- 7 Round Table supports mayor's charity fund
- 8 Stansted teachers offered lockdown yoga
- 9 Two Covid swab kit sites open in Uttlesford
- 10 Police seek witnesses to two vehicle collision