Felsted pupils raise £1,800 for African orphans
- Credit: Archant
Felsted Preparatory School pupils have raised £1,800 to help feed and look after children in an orphanage in Malawi.
The African youngsters live in Sparkle Malawi, a home for them set up by Old Felstedian Sarah Brook.
The Felsted children were set a Lent challenge to become better Felsted Friends to each other and to those less fortunate.
They collected loose change, spare pocket money and tips for jobs around the house putting them into a cardboard money box decorated with Sparkle Foundations photographs and its logo. They also brought in a soft toy they no longer played with to give to the children in the Sparkle Orphanage.
Ms Brook said: “We are absolutely delighted with the money raised and we cannot thank the pupils and staff enough for their continued efforts to create brighter futures for our children in Malawi. The funds will enable 200 of our little Sparkles to be fed, educated and given medical support for the next 31 days.
You may also want to watch:
“With Malawi experiencing the worst drought in over a century this year, ensuring that children have the basic necessities of food and water in the world’s poorest country is now more important than ever.”
She added: “To be able to have children as young as eight working hard to save lives in Africa, is a huge step forward for society and further highlights the mind-set of today’s generation who are determined to make a difference to the world.”
- 1 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 2 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 3 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 6 More history made by Dunmow Taekwondo's talented students
- 7 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 8 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
- 9 Dragons' Den style competition highlights innovative ideas
- 10 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians