Felsted choir follow in the footsteps of The Beatles
FELSTED pupils followed in the footsteps of some of the greatest musicians of all time after recording at the Abbey Road studios in London, made famous by sixties icons The Beatles. Under the guidance of school parent, Andrew Sunnocks, the Felsted 20 choi
FELSTED pupils followed in the footsteps of some of the greatest musicians of all time after recording at the Abbey Road studios in London, made famous by sixties icons The Beatles.
Under the guidance of school parent, Andrew Sunnocks, the Felsted 20 choir recorded tracks for an online UK music library. The singers all agreed that the experience was all the more amazing for the fact they were in the same studio used by The Beatles.
Director of music, James Lowry, said: "This was an incredible experience for pupils and staff alike. The choir recorded for four hours and discovered that it was a very different way of singing and performing - it is a new experience to perform wearing headphones. The recording staff were amazed with the talent and maturity of our pupils - they could not believe we were not a professional choir."
Seven pieces were recorded in total, in styles ranging from contemporary to traditional choral and African-style chanting. The choir were congratulated by both composers and the staff at Abbey Road for their professionalism and performance.
You may also want to watch:
The pupils sang in Studio two which The Beatles always used when they recorded and they even had the opportunity to see the mixing desk that their albums were recorded on. Oasis, U2, Dido and The Spice Girls have all also used the same studio.
Choir member, Toby Oxnam, aged 18, was one of the lucky ones as he is a boarding pupil who has just completed an international bachelorette at the school.
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 9 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 10 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
He said: "It was an unforgettable day for all of us. I've been really lucky, singing with the Twenty has given me some amazing opportunities, from performing Paris last year to singing at Westminster Cathedral earlier this term. However, recording in The Abbey Road studios must count as the top musical highlight of my time here".
The Choir sings regularly in Felsted's new state-of-the-art Music School, opened recently by Dame Evelyn Glennie, but also delights audiences across the region and abroad.