Family start green taxi business
A FAMILY from Dunmow has launched its own eco-friendly private hire car company. Mike Leach and his son Antony set up igo green ltd at the beginning of August after becoming concerned about the carbon footprint created by using normal methods of transport
A FAMILY from Dunmow has launched its own eco-friendly private hire car company.
Mike Leach and his son Antony set up igo green ltd at the beginning of August after becoming concerned about the carbon footprint created by using normal methods of transport.
"Antony and I identified a need for a visible and reliable minicab service in Dunmow and we thought it was important to look after the environment in every way we can," said Mr Leach.
"Everything is going along the green route and we thought it would be a good idea to get ahead of the game.
You may also want to watch:
"We have all become much more environmentally aware over the last couple of years and are now greener than we have ever been," said Mike.
"At home we recycle all our glass, papers, and tin cans, which I take down to the recycling points at the supermarket.
- 1 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 2 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 3 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 4 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 5 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 6 More history made by Dunmow Taekwondo's talented students
- 7 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 8 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
- 9 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 10 Laptops and jewellery stolen during Dunmow burglary
"I've also just put energy saving light bulbs into the house, which all adds to reducing our carbon footprint."
The family has invested in three state of the art Toyota Prius hybrid cars that have combined petrol and electric engines, with the option of another three if business really takes off.
"I knew about Prius' green credentials before I set up igo green ltd.
"We chose them because of their excellent reputation for being, among other things, the lowest emitters of CO2."
"I'm absolutely delighted with the cars but they take a bit of getting used to: if you sit at traffic lights, the petrol engine cuts out and goes over to the electric motor leaving the car absolutely silent. It sounds like you've stalled."
Mike and Antony are driving the cars and have had to get through a pile of
paperwork and red tape in order to get the required licenses, including CRB checks.