Family return home to Thaxted for Christmas after thatched house destroyed by fire

Thatched cottage fire in Great Sampford. Picture: Chris Kidman

Thatched cottage fire in Great Sampford. Picture: Chris Kidman


A family who saw their thatched cottage destroyed by fire a year ago have thanked local businesses who helped them return home within 12 months.

Thatched cottage fire in Great Sampford. Picture: Chris KidmanThatched cottage fire in Great Sampford. Picture: Chris Kidman

John and Caroline Smith, of Finchingfield Road, Great Sampford, had been living in an annex in their garden for the past year after the blaze which started on the roof and swept through their cottage on January 18, 2016.

It took 50 firefighters nearly four hours to extinguish the blaze, which caused serious structural damage to beams and gutted the centre of the house.

Caroline said: “We had no idea our house was on fire.

Someone knocked on the door to tell us the roof was alight and we needed to get out.

“The worst thing was watching the house burn and not being able to do anything 
about it.

“The fire service was amazing and managed to save both ends of the house but the centre core was destroyed.”

As well as Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, the couple paid tribute to insurers NFU Mutual in Takeley.

Caroline said: “From supporting us to arrange building consent to making sure we had our cooker installed in time for Christmas dinner, the NFU Mutual staff have been with us every step of the way.

“Pickfords builders in Great Dunmow were also superb, including sourcing the oven, and Cunningham Lindsey loss adjusters were wonderful negotiators.

“With the new oven installed it was a dream to be back in the house for Christmas.”

Senior agent for NFU Mutual, Kayleigh Mackness, said: “We are so pleased that the Smith family were home for Christmas.

“While thatched homes are no more likely to catch fire than homes with a conventional roof, if they do ignite the fire is very difficult to control and the results can be devastating.

“This case highlights how important it is to check your building is properly insured, particularly if you live in a thatched property.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Dunmow Broadcast. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast