Family return home to Thaxted for Christmas after thatched house destroyed by fire
- Credit: Archant
A family who saw their thatched cottage destroyed by fire a year ago have thanked local businesses who helped them return home within 12 months.
John and Caroline Smith, of Finchingfield Road, Great Sampford, had been living in an annex in their garden for the past year after the blaze which started on the roof and swept through their cottage on January 18, 2016.
It took 50 firefighters nearly four hours to extinguish the blaze, which caused serious structural damage to beams and gutted the centre of the house.
Caroline said: “We had no idea our house was on fire.
Someone knocked on the door to tell us the roof was alight and we needed to get out.
You may also want to watch:
“The worst thing was watching the house burn and not being able to do anything about it.
“The fire service was amazing and managed to save both ends of the house but the centre core was destroyed.”
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 5 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 6 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 7 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 8 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 9 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 10 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
As well as Essex County Fire and Rescue Service, the couple paid tribute to insurers NFU Mutual in Takeley.
Caroline said: “From supporting us to arrange building consent to making sure we had our cooker installed in time for Christmas dinner, the NFU Mutual staff have been with us every step of the way.
“Pickfords builders in Great Dunmow were also superb, including sourcing the oven, and Cunningham Lindsey loss adjusters were wonderful negotiators.
“With the new oven installed it was a dream to be back in the house for Christmas.”
Senior agent for NFU Mutual, Kayleigh Mackness, said: “We are so pleased that the Smith family were home for Christmas.
“While thatched homes are no more likely to catch fire than homes with a conventional roof, if they do ignite the fire is very difficult to control and the results can be devastating.
“This case highlights how important it is to check your building is properly insured, particularly if you live in a thatched property.”