Ex-England cricketer bowls in to give inspirational talk
AN EX-ENGLAND cricketer bowled in to his rival county to help raise over �4500 for charity. Fast bowler Angus Fraser, who played for Middlesex for over 20 years, arrived in Great Dunmow to give a talk to the town s rotary club.
AN EX-ENGLAND cricketer bowled in to his rival county to help raise over �4500 for charity.
Fast bowler Angus Fraser, who played for Middlesex for over 20 years, arrived in Great Dunmow to give a talk to the town's rotary club at their annual sportsman's dinner.
In total 175 guests, mainly local businessmen and women, attended the sporty evening at Foakes Hall on April 12 and enjoyed an entertaining talk from Mr Fraser.
Rotary president David Green hailed the night as a success. "Angus, currently director of cricket at Middlesex, gave an excellent talk on his playing days as a test cricketer and fast Bowler. He also answered many questions from the audience."
Money raised from the event will be put towards the rotary club's chosen charities including a significant award to SportsAid, the national charity for sport which assists young sportsmen with grants towards training equipment and career development.
During the closing stages of the evening SportsAid spokesman Chris Dyer gave a vote of thanks to the club in appreciation for over eight years of support and outlined the success of the many young sports personalities who had gone on to great things after being given grants.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
WERE you there? Tell us what you thought - e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org