Essex widow goes on Asia trek
A TREK through the Cambodian rainforest has helped a widow commemorate her husband s death by eclipsing a fundraising target in aid of the hospice that helped care for him. Rita Punt, 64, lost her husband John to prostate cancer over two years ago after a
A TREK through the Cambodian rainforest has helped a widow commemorate her husband's death by eclipsing a fundraising target in aid of the hospice that helped care for him.
Rita Punt, 64, lost her husband John to prostate cancer over two years ago after a three-year battle with the illness. During their final years together they spent a lot of time with the Farleigh Hospice.
Because of the help and care he received, Rita was keen to repay the hospice by taking part in a 400km charity trek through the rainforests in northeast Cambodia.
The minimum fundraising target for the trip was �300 - but Rita sailed past that and ended up raising �7000.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "I just want thank all the people that sponsored me, every single donation came from people in Great Dunmow. It is an absolutely fantastic achievement."
Rita, who works in the Yogi Pharamcy in Great Dunmow and lives in Springfields, had to battle with high temperatures and tough terrain, but her gym training prior to the trek really paid off.
- 1 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 New cycle network consultation announced
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 8 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
"It was very hot and that was probably the hardest thing about it," she said. "We were walking in sand a lot which also takes its toll. But I was very determined to complete it. John was an adventurous man so I wanted to him justice by setting myself a difficult but achievable goal.
"I knew I could get through it, because of John I believe I can do anything.