Essex school accepts the British young drummer of the year
AN AWARD-WINNING drummer is bang, crash, walloping his way into a new school this week accepting an offer to study in Felsted.
Young drummer of the year Richard Rayner has joined Felsted School as a lower sixth student and be training and performing in the state-of-the-art music school.
Felsted’s director of music James Lowry said: “I am delighted to be welcoming one of the most exciting young percussionists in the country to study in the sixth form at Felsted.
“Richard is already acquiring a reputation in the profession and I am very much looking forward to working with him during his time here.”
The youngster has been playing the drums for eight years, passing his grade eight drums at the age of 10. He has also appeared on national TV three times and radio, and has played at many prestigious venues, including the Royal Albert Hall for the BBC Proms.
You may also want to watch:
After winning the Young Drummer of the Year 2009, he also won the Junior Guildhall Percussionist prize 2009 and the Jam Percussion Award.
“The musical facilities that Felsted offers will give me the opportunity to do lots of things that I would not have been able to do anywhere else,” he said. “I have lots of practice time and the equipment is state-of-the-art.”
- 1 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 2 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 3 New Hylands Estate parking charges explained
- 4 'Outstanding' Town Award winners unveiled
- 5 Bid to 'join' Dunmow and Easton with more than 1,000 homes blocked
- 6 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 7 Ball bearings shot at Leaden Roding car
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Valentine's Flitch Ball to take place this February
- 10 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
His mum Karen Rayne added: “The facilities were a factor in his choice, as they are new and extensive. The principle difference however was the sheer passion for music exhibited by all.
“The atmosphere is fantastically encouraging and creative, and he is really excited by what he will achieve this year as well as making new friends.”