ESSEX: Landlords search for pub's past

PUBLISHED: 14:28 02 April 2010 | UPDATED: 07:36 30 May 2010

A COUPLE who are renovating an old watering hole are eager to learn all about its notorious past. Terry and Jenny Barnett bought Royal Oak House on Stortford Road, Great Dunmow, three years ago and ever since have been taking their time to renovate it.

A COUPLE who are renovating an old watering hole are eager to learn all about its notorious past.

Terry and Jenny Barnett bought Royal Oak House on Stortford Road, Great Dunmow, three years ago and ever since have been taking their time to renovate the property.

Formally known as the Royal Oak, the old pub closed down in the 1970s but dates back to Victorian times and is understood to have been built in 1350.

All the Barnetts have at the moment are a few pictures of the house taken during pervious eras, but they are keen to learn more before painting its outside this summer.

"We understand that it was built around 1350, but we know little else about it," said Jenny. "Many people we come across in Dunmow tell us they used to drink in the pub before it closed, and we would particularly love to see any pictures anyone may have, or just have a chat with someone who remembers the layout.

"We have heard a few stories about one landlady called "Ma" who would serve underage lads as long as they sat in the porch on the front steps!"

She added: "We feel that more knowledge will give us a better feel for the place and help with our renovation works."

If anyone has any information which they would like to share with the couple, get in touch by calling Jenny on 07956 892 422.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast