Essex: ‘Huge fire’ panics residents
A HUGE fire erupted on Saturday night completely destroying a Portacabin near a children’s playground and recreation area.
Three crews from Dunmow, Stansted and Bishop Stortford were called to Hatfield Broad Oak Road, in Takeley shortly before 10pm.
When they arrived, the building was already completely alight and several owners of properties close by had gathered around concerned at what had happened.
David Edwards lives just a few feet away at Takeley Park. He said: “It was a massive blaze. When we first saw it we thought it was a lot closer and we feared it could spread from home to home.
“The sky was lit up by flames and smoke, with lighted ash splaying onto the residential units.
“The residents of Takeley Park are mainly over 55 years old. Some in their late nineties, to have an occurrence of this kind, can unsettle the peace and harmony, which is presently enjoyed.”
Mr Edwards said that the Portacabin, which measured 5 x 20 metres, was in the process of being renovated and converted into sporting changing facilities for children.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 10 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
He added: “It was going to be a valuable asset for the benefit of youngsters and Takeley Football Club’s youth teams.”
Crews were forced to use breathing apparatus as they battered the flames down with water jets – the managed to extinguish the fire by 11pm.