Essex: Hair today, gone tomorrow...well, December 12
SUPPORTING important charities and causes can be a hair-raising experience – just ask these 40 lads who all drink at the same village pub.
To raise cash for The Prostrate Cancer Charity (TPCC) Black Lion regulars from High Roding will be not shaving above their top lips for a month as part of a worldwide initiative called ‘Movember’.
‘Mo’, slang for moustache, replaces the No in November making the month a special one for men across the globe as they try to fashion the latest in upper-lip chic.
High Roding group spokesman Toby Wiseman took this shot of all the lads before they embarked on their sponsored challenge.
He said: “It is a brilliant initiative in which men grow moustaches to raise money for prostate and testicular cancer.
“Our team includes a number of men who before October 31 had full beards. At least one participant has never been seen by his wife or children without a beard before.
“We will be cultivating our fancy facial hair right up until Sunday December 12 at which point we shall convene at The Black Lion at 3pm for the final judging.”
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 5 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 6 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 7 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 8 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 Yarn spinning, bicycles and Spring lambs at Care Farm day
On their return a team of female arbiters will scrutinise the hairy masterpieces and an award for first prize will be given to the most stylish moustache.
Mr Wiseman added: “Obviously, we shall also tot up our total sponsorship funds.”
The idea for Movember was sparked in 2003 after a group of men had a few beers in Melbourne, Australia.
The plan was simple – to bring the moustache back as a bit of a joke and do something for men’s health.
Although no money was raised that year the group behind the Mo realised the potential and since then the initiative has gone global.
The funds raised through Movember’s UK campaign benefit The Prostate Cancer Charity (TPCC), the UK’s leading prostate cancer charity.
Are you growing a Mo?
Send us your pics and stories via:
E-mail – email@example.com
Twitter – NickPJThompson
Or text – 07843500911 using MEDIA DUNMOW