Essex firefighters’ dedication and commitment honoured
- Credit: Archant
Long-serving firefighters described as “the backbone of the service” have been honoured for their dedication and commitment to the job.
Mark Curtis, based at Great Dunmow, and Phillip Wright, at Thaxted, were awarded with long service and good conduct medal’s for dedicating 20 years to Essex County Fire & Rescue Service.
They were among 17 firefighters presented with honours from the High Sheriff of Essex, Julia Abel Smith, at a special ceremony on Monday.
Chief fire officer David Johnson said: “They have given 20 years of exemplary service to the communities of Essex and in that time have developed a wealth of knowledge and experience which they can bring to bear in protecting and serving those communities.
“This medal recognises their achievement and is presented by us on behalf of the Monarch and a grateful community.”
You may also want to watch:
Mark worked at Saffron Walden fire station – following the footsteps of his father, Dave, who was station manager there – for 20 years.
Four years ago, Mark transferred to wholetime firefighting and is now crew manager at Great Dunmow.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 New cycle network consultation announced
- 4 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 10 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
During his career Mark has attended many major incidents but his most memorable was the Korean Air Crash at Stansted Airport in 1999.
Phillip has served at Thaxted for the whole of his 20 years’ service. He started his service career aged just 14 when he did some work experience at Thaxted. He loved it so much, he joined as soon as he was 18.