Essex fire officer warns about kitchen dangers after pan fire near Dunmow
- Credit: Archant
An Essex fire officer has issued a warning about the dangers of not paying attention in the kitchen after a pan caught fire on a cooker near Dunmow on Tuesday afternoon (April 5).
The incident occurred at a property in Bennetts Lane, North End, just before 1pm, and crews from Dunmow and Braintree extinguished the blaze by 1.23pm.
Divisional officer Neil Fenwick said: “When it comes to cooking it’s vital that you don’t let your attention wander.
“We know how easy it is to become distracted in the kitchen, busy family lives, phones, tablets, computers and television combine to make people lose their focus in the kitchen and that is when potentially deadly fires can start.
“Make sure that you do not let distraction turn you into the killer in your kitchen.”
You may also want to watch:
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service issued the following advice for staying safe in the kitchen:
• Avoid leaving cooking unattended and never leave children in the kitchen alone.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 3 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 4 5 of the best wedding venues in Essex
- 5 Mayor's column: Dunmow changes, the Civic Service and talent in the town
- 6 Court sentence for Dunmow knife attacker, guilty of attempted murder
- 7 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 8 Takeley pupils present harvest collection to Bishop's Stortford foodbank
- 9 Chelmsford bypass 'could provide strategic link' to Stansted Airport
- 10 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
• If you have to leave the kitchen to answer the door or send a text, turn off the cooker.
• Never leave children alone whilst cooking – what’s more important, your text or your child?
• Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing – they can easily catch fire.
• Keep tea towels and cloths away from the cooker and hob.
• Check toasters are clean and placed away from curtains and kitchen rolls.
• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in good working order. A build up of fat and grease can ignite a fire.
• Take care when cooking with hot oil – it sets alight easily. If the oil starts to smoke – it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool. Ideally cook oven chips but if you are deep fat frying then use a thermostat controlled electric deep fat fryer - they can’t overheat.
• Never try to cook after a night out drinking. It is far better to grab a kebab on the way home than to attempt to cook while intoxicated.