Essex best friends to star in BBC driving gameshow
- Credit: Archant
Two best friends will be racing onto your television screens this Saturday (July 9) after taking part in BBC 1’s new quiz show - The Getaway Car.
Sophie Whitaker, 21, from Great Notley, and Megan Clark, also 21, from High Easter, were flown out to Cape Town in South Africa last November to film the programme.
The show, which is hosted by Dermot O’Leary, features five two-person teams competing against each other in a series of driving challenges, culminating in a battle with Top Gear character The Stig.
The friends are no strangers to television after Sophie appeared as a contestant on ITV’s Take Me Out last year, while Megan has previously starred in MTV’s Ex On The Beach.
Sophie said: “Cape Town was amazing and we were out there for eight days. The filming days were long and tiring but we did get a couple of days off to explore which was great.
“The show is sort of like Total Wipeout for cars, and Megan was the driver, I was the co-driver. As we’re both blondes from Essex, we went on the show to prove people wrong of our Essex stereotype.
“Dermot was lovely and came out with us all for a drink one night. He and I had something in common as we both attended Colchester Sixth Form, and we had a good chat about that.”
- 1 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 2 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 5 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 6 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
- 7 Wins for High Roding, Aythorpe Roding and Dunmow cricketers
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
The Getaway Car is on BBC1 on Saturday, July 9, at 6.50pm.