Election in pictures: Felsted pupils get the chance to vote
THERE was no hung parliament for pupils at schools across Felsted, but a mock election certainly did throw up some interesting results. Both Felsted School and Felsted Preparatory School held elections last week and students in year 8 (age 12 to 13) and l
THERE was no hung parliament for pupils at schools across Felsted, but a mock election certainly did throw up some interesting results.
Both Felsted School and Felsted Preparatory School held elections last week and students in year 8 (age 12 to 13) and lower sixth (age 16 to 17) represented not only the main parties but also the UKIP and The Green Party amongst others.
In the senior school, the Conservatives were led by Toby Seers and Ella Brown, both lower sixth pupils, who secured a 57 per cent majority from 215 votes. The results were uploaded on to the Google school elections website.
In the prep school 72 per cent of years 3-8 turned out to vote with plenty of interest shown in the politics of all five parties standing.
You may also want to watch:
The independent party, SJUK, led by Sebi Anderson and assisted by Joel Brice, won with 50 per cent of the vote.
Within their manifesto, they stood for the rights of children, with popular policies such as lowering the age of voting, driving, laser eye surgery and free theme park entry for all children. Their results were posted on the Hansard Society mock election website.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 5 New cycle network consultation announced
- 6 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 7 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 8 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 9 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 10 TSB closes Dunmow branch
The school also was delighted to see two ex-pupils gain their seats in the real House of Commons.
The two successful candidates were Charlie Elphicke, who was educated at Felsted (1979-87), elected as the Conservative MP for Dover and Deal, and Andrew Tyrie, who was educated at Felsted (1970-75), and reconfirmed as Conservative MP for Chichester. He has held his seat since May 1997.