School class in Dunmow wins national award
- Credit: Dunmow St Mary's Primary School
Students in Year 6 in a Great Dunmow school have won a national award from the United Kingdom Literary Association.
The students at Dunmow St Mary's Primary School were inspired by the book 'The Eleventh Trade' by Alyssa Hollingsworth. They created artwork and written work inspired by the story.
As a result, they won the Our Class Loves this Book Award.
The children won a huge box of books and a question and answer virtual meet-up with Alyssa Hollingsworth.
The school has also received a year's school membership of the UKLA.
You may also want to watch:
Teacher Ben Harris said: "The children were incredibly passionate about completing their group's part in the class entry.
"Their confidence and individual originality shone through as they pulled together as a team for a united goal.
"So many of the class have commented to me about what they learned from the story itself and its messages of friendship, resourcefulness and family love countering racism and bullying have gone in deep, I believe."
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 3 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 4 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 5 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
- 8 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
- 9 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 10 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change