Dunmow Wind Band Players’ Player of the Year 2016 named as 13-year-old
- Credit: Archant
A young performer in the Dunmow Wind Band has been awarded the Players’ Player of 2016.
Keira Walker, 13, had been with the band for around a year when she played solo on the recorder in October, Panis Angelicus, during the Last Night of the Proms concert at Foakes Hall on October 14.
All of the players voted her their winner – there were also other awards, such as Most Improved Player.
To mark her achievement, at the band’s Christmas bash on December 22, she was awarded the Dunmow Wind Band Presidents Cup and Musical Directors certificate.
Kiera’s mum, Ann Walker, who is also a talented musician on the saxophone and is also in the band, said: “I am very proud of her, she’s done very well.”
You may also want to watch:
The whole family is musical, as her grandad was a former military musician on the clarinet and saxophone.
She goes to Saffron Walden County High for school, and has recently passed a music exam on the recorder.
- 1 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 2 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 3 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 4 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 5 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 6 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 7 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 8 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 9 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 10 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement