Dunmow Wind Band Players’ Player of the Year 2016 named as 13-year-old
- Credit: Archant
A young performer in the Dunmow Wind Band has been awarded the Players’ Player of 2016.
Keira Walker, 13, had been with the band for around a year when she played solo on the recorder in October, Panis Angelicus, during the Last Night of the Proms concert at Foakes Hall on October 14.
All of the players voted her their winner – there were also other awards, such as Most Improved Player.
To mark her achievement, at the band’s Christmas bash on December 22, she was awarded the Dunmow Wind Band Presidents Cup and Musical Directors certificate.
Kiera’s mum, Ann Walker, who is also a talented musician on the saxophone and is also in the band, said: “I am very proud of her, she’s done very well.”
You may also want to watch:
The whole family is musical, as her grandad was a former military musician on the clarinet and saxophone.
She goes to Saffron Walden County High for school, and has recently passed a music exam on the recorder.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 New cycle network consultation announced
- 4 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 5 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 6 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 7 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 10 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down