Dunmow traders and residents line High Street to pay last respects to May & Brett manager
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow residents and traders lined the town’s high street to pay respects to the manager of a long-standing family business.
The funeral for Nigel May, a business director at department store May & Brett who died aged 63, was held on Friday.
More than 150 people erupted into applause as the funeral cortege, which paused outside May & Brett in the early afternoon, continued its progress.
Julian May, Nigel's brother, said: "It was the most wonderful send off I could have imagined for Nigel. The family feel so proud and honoured that everyone thought so much of him. I've never experienced anything like that or seen anything similar happen in 40 years of working in Dunmow."
Nigel worked at the business for 49 years, serving as shop floor manager, company secretary and business director.
You may also want to watch:
He joined the business at 15 as a Saturday boy and started full-time when he was 16.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 4 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 5 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 6 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 7 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 8 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
- 9 Stansted author to release second novel
- 10 Town council challenges water softening decision