Dunmow residents join forces to fight homes threat
RESIDENTS have joined together to fight a planned 73-home development - yet again.
In July Redrow Homes Ltd submitted an application to build 78 homes on the site in Ongar Road.
Over 40 letters were submitted to planning authority Uttlesford District Council (UDC) outlining their reasons the application should be rejected and should not pass the application process.
It was refused by the planning authority on the grounds of protecting the countryside and the rural character of Dunmow which would be compromised by the development.
However, last month Redrow lodged an appeal against the refusal and submitted a revised plan for 73 homes. Residents near the proposed development contacted the Broadcast to say their feelings had not changed towards the plans.
Stephen Pye, of Luckins Drive, said the application is “unwelcome”.
“Many of us put up our objections and in September the application was comprehensively turned down by UDC. Recently Redrow wrote to the local residents again with a revised outline for 73 homes; they have also put in a planning appeal, as well as the revised application,” he said.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 6 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 7 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 8 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 9 'I'm proud of how far I've come' - Dunmow mum shares her weight loss experience
- 10 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare
“It’s an unsuitable and unwelcome idea, but it looks as though the owner and the developers have sunk their teeth in and are unwilling to let go.”
Dunmow Town Council also reiterated its stance. Mayor Wendy Barron said: “The proposal is outside limits, therefore any development would set a bad precedence and lead to uncontrolled development on the fringes of the town.” That sentiment was echoed by the pressure group the Dunmow Society.
Darin Gosling, of Luckins Drive, said: “We moved to our house in August 2009 and love the fact that it backs on to the woods, as do our two children. If the proposal goes ahead then all the wildlife will be killed.”
A spokesman for Redrow Homes said: “The new application has been submitted in response to the previous refusal and based on subsequent discussions with planning officers.
“We have reduced the number of proposed new homes to approximately 73, have enhanced and introduced landscaping corridors on the Ongar Road, and amended the highways layout to accord with the Essex Design Guide and local policy.
“We believe the proposed scheme would provide Dunmow and Uttlesford District with much needed housing. The scheme comprises relatively low density, high quality housing and is sensitive to the arboricultural quality of the site, which in turn respects and responds to the character of current developments in the town.
“The scheme incorporates affordable housing, high quality open space, and natural play areas for children. A well used footpath that runs through the site would be maintained and enhanced.”
WHAT do you think? E-mail email@example.com