Dunmow Players win an award for Sister Act
- Credit: Archant
The Dunmow Players Musical Theatre Company won Best Musical in the District in 2016, for its show Sister Act, at the NODA (National Operatic and Dramatic Association) East awards at St Ives, Cambridgeshire on Sunday, April 9.
Sister Act, which was performed at the Foakes Hall on 7th-9th April last year, was heralded as the most uplifting and vibrant show the group had performed to date.
NODA is the leading representative body for amateur theatre in the UK.
The Players’ Sister Act was directed by Chris Lines with Karen Chinery as musical director. It was choreographed by Heather Bennett with Peter Dedman, chairman of The Dunmow Players.
The 26-strong cast starred Samantha Keys as Deloris Van Cartier, Decia Ranger as Mother Superior, Cian Harriss as Eddie and Adam Thompson as Curtis. Among the cast of nuns was Sister Mary Patrick played by Linda Keys, who also made her debut as assistant director.
One of the highlights of the show was the comic song, Lady in the Long Black Dress, performed by Alex Wilson (TJ), Tom Reed (Pablo) and Peter Dedman (Joey), who choreographed the number.
The musical Sister Act is based on the 1992 film starring Whoopi Goldberg. It tells the of Deloris Van Cartier, an aspiring disco diva, who after witnessing a murder, is sent to a nunnery on witness protection.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Dunmow Rovers Tigers Under 10s celebrate 'fantastic result'
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 5 High Easter hit Legends with second-half goal blitz
- 6 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 7 Outdoor theatre shows for all the family set for the National Trust's Hatfield Forest this summer
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
Once there, she transforms the choir but this leads to her blowing her cover. But when she is found by her ex-lover Curtis and his gang, they find themselves up against the stronghold of Deloris’ newly found sisterhood.
The Dunmow Players’ next show will be Priscilla Queen of the Desert, to be performed at Foakes Hall in late October. Auditions and rehearsals will start in May and the group has already attracted new members for on stage and to work behind the scenes.
See www.dunmowplayers.org.uk or email email@example.com.