Dunmow man Benjamin Neill in court after being caught behind wheel while under influence of drugs
- Credit: Archant
A driver caught under the influence of drugs while behind the wheel has been sentenced.
Benjamin Neill, of Chelmsford Road, Barnston, was spotted in a Ford Fiesta in an industrial estate in Chelmsford Road, Dunmow, just after 9pm on September 27.
He was sitting at the wheel of the car but not driving.
Officers suspected Neill was under the influence of cannabis and took a swab of his saliva for a roadside drug testing kit, which detect the presence of cannabis or cocaine is over a set limit.
A further blood test at a police station confirmed drug levels of cannabis were 2.6 micrograms per litre of blood – over the legal limit.
You may also want to watch:
The 20-year-old appeared at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on November 13 and pleaded guilty to being in charge of a motor vehicle while over the prescribed drugs limit.
Neill was fined £170 and ordered to pay £85 costs, a criminal courts charge of £150 and a victim surcharge of £20. He also received 10 points on his driving licence.
- 1 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 2 Villages around Great Dunmow covered in frost and snow
- 3 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 4 Distraction theft in Dunmow leaves woman without handbag
- 5 Church received £31,000 grant for restoration purposes
- 6 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 7 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 8 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 9 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 10 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
Sergeant Colin Shead, from Chelmsford Roads Policing Unit, said: “I am pleased with the sentence imposed.
“The new legislation which came into force a few months ago is proving extremely useful and people need to be aware that if you take drugs and drive we will catch up with you.”