Dunmow man Benjamin Neill in court after being caught behind wheel while under influence of drugs
- Credit: Archant
A driver caught under the influence of drugs while behind the wheel has been sentenced.
Benjamin Neill, of Chelmsford Road, Barnston, was spotted in a Ford Fiesta in an industrial estate in Chelmsford Road, Dunmow, just after 9pm on September 27.
He was sitting at the wheel of the car but not driving.
Officers suspected Neill was under the influence of cannabis and took a swab of his saliva for a roadside drug testing kit, which detect the presence of cannabis or cocaine is over a set limit.
A further blood test at a police station confirmed drug levels of cannabis were 2.6 micrograms per litre of blood – over the legal limit.
You may also want to watch:
The 20-year-old appeared at Colchester Magistrates’ Court on November 13 and pleaded guilty to being in charge of a motor vehicle while over the prescribed drugs limit.
Neill was fined £170 and ordered to pay £85 costs, a criminal courts charge of £150 and a victim surcharge of £20. He also received 10 points on his driving licence.
- 1 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 2 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 3 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 4 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 5 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 6 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 7 Emergency funding for Essex care homes amid 'acute' staff shortages
- 8 Court sentence for Dunmow knife attacker, guilty of attempted murder
- 9 Council agrees to 'complicated' parking charges at Hylands Park
- 10 Full house success: Great Dunmow's Last Night of the Proms
Sergeant Colin Shead, from Chelmsford Roads Policing Unit, said: “I am pleased with the sentence imposed.
“The new legislation which came into force a few months ago is proving extremely useful and people need to be aware that if you take drugs and drive we will catch up with you.”