Dunmow Carnival 2009 overall float winner announced
FLITCH Green Primary School won its first-ever trophy after a spectacular effort earned the school the title of best Dunmow Carnival 2009 float. Some 71 floats entered the 2009 event but the school – which officially opened in June – came first in its cat
FLITCH Green Primary School won its first-ever trophy after a spectacular effort earned the school the title of best Dunmow Carnival 2009 float.
Some 71 floats entered the 2009 event but the school - which officially opened in June - came first in its category and first overall with an impressive Peter Pan-themed float.
Headteacher Helen Johnson said: "We were delighted when we found out that the Dunmow Carnival fell on our first anniversary of pupils starting at our school site in Flitch Green; a great opportunity for us to bring our whole school together and join in a special event with the wider community.
"I had heard much about the carnival and the children and staff were all very excited to take part, but as first-timers we were not quite sure what to expect.
You may also want to watch:
"Our preparations involved the whole school community from governors to grandparents. All lent a hand to build our fantastic float and embellish the procession.
"Our school has over doubled in size in a year and we were very proud that 90 per cent of the pupils were able to attend. Parents and grandparents also dressed up and joined in - real demonstration of the commitment of all to the school and the desire to contribute to the local community.
- 1 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 2 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 3 Grandmother rescued from muddy field in Little Bardfield
- 4 Trees are planted in Great Bardfield
- 5 The benefits of the great outdoors
- 6 Covid jabs have started at Broomfield Hospital's Vaccination Hub
- 7 Covid survival rates in Essex are among worst in country
- 8 Stansted teachers offered lockdown yoga
- 9 Essex County Council to discuss council tax increase of up to £40
- 10 Residents, the RAF and Stansted Airport react to sonic boom
"There was a real buzz on the day. It is the sort of event that the children will remember for a long time.
"To win first prize in our category and overall winner was just the icing on the cake for us. It is our first trophy so a very special one. We need to purchase a trophy cabinet now!"
And there is already talk in the school of what next for Dunmow Carnival 2010!