Dunmow businessman taking on charity Cuba cycle ride
- Credit: Archant
Despite never having ridden a bicycle, the managing director of a Dunmow-based business will be riding across Cuba to raise money for a boxing-backed charity.
Guy Scilly of Multitech, a supplier of temporary electrics, will be joined by former boxing champions Nicky Piper, Glen McCrory, Johnny Nelson, Glen Catley and Darren Barker. He will be taking part in ‘Cycle Cuba with the Champs’ between October 23–31 in aid of the British Boxing Board of Control Charitable Trust. The event is backed by the charity and all participants have to pay a registration fee of £299 and raise an additional £2900 in sponsorship.
The trust is a registered charity that seeks to progress medical research into injuries associated with the sport, which also benefits people outside boxing suffering from similar injuries.
Guy will ride from Santa Clara to Havana, ending at the famous Rafael Trejo gym, where participants will be able to watch training and meet famous boxers, such as three-time gold Olympic gold medal winner Felix Savon.
Guy, who lives in Bishop Stortford, got into boxing soon after starting the company in 1998 and trains at the local amateur boxing club.
You may also want to watch:
Guy said: “The training is very different from being at the boxing club, made all the more interesting by having never ridden a bike before! This is a fantastic cause and a great opportunity to spend time with members of boxing history. Truth be told, it’s not my fitness level that concerns me, it’s the saddle soreness!”
Guy now sponsors Bishop Stortford Amateur Boxing Club and supports The Presidents Sporting Club/Essex Disabled Sports Foundation, which Frank Bruno is president of.
- 1 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 2 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 3 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 4 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
- 5 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 6 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 7 They're record breakers! Self-test attracts worldwide support
- 8 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 9 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 10 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan