Dunmow banker awarded OBE
- Credit: Simon Stanmore
A Dunmow man has been awarded an OBE in the Queen’s birthday honours after he founded a bank focused on small and medium-sized enterprises seven-years ago.
Phillip Monks, CEO of Aldermore Bank, was part of the team which set-up the company in 2009, and received his honour for services to the banking industry.
Mr Monks has overseen the rise of the bank, which is now of the leading financial institutions for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
The bank delivers straightforward products and services to SMEs through its twelve regional offices across the UK.
Prior to his role at Aldermore, Mr Monks held senior roles with Barclays, including CEO of Gerrard Investment Management, managing director of Barclays Corporate Banking and head of Barclays Private Bank in Geneva.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Monks said: “I am thrilled and humbled to have been recognised in this year’s honours list for something I have always had a deep passion for.
“Establishing Aldermore in 2009 was the start of something quite special for me, and to receive this honour is a wonderful achievement not just for me personally, but for all of my colleagues who have played their part in creating a bank for UK SMEs, homeowners, landlords and savers.”
- 1 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 2 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 3 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 4 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 5 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 6 Online Young Musician competition launched by Dunmow Rotarians
- 7 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
- 8 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 9 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 10 They're record breakers! Self-test attracts worldwide support
Mr Monks will be presented with the prestigious honour sometime in the next six months.