Dunmow appoints new mayor
- Credit: Archant
The new Mayor of Great Dunmow, Councillor Barrie Easter says his mission will be to keep Great Dunmow as a market town as it has been throughout its history. He said he would continue to fight housing development and to support the opening of a walk-in health centre.
He said: “This is what is needed but it is not up to the town council. It is a matter for the county. All we can do is suggest it but we will do that. It would take the pressure off hospitals, especially at the weekends.
He said: “We don’t want Dunmow over-developed. We want it to keep its character as a small market town.”
He said the council of independent councillors would continue to resist the development of houses, a battle that had been going on for some time.
“Land Securities owns more building land than any other company in the world. They want to build houses from the end of the new Dunmow bypass up to Little Easton. This has been going on for 18 months to two years and we have knocked it back. The council works as a team and we are opposed to too much development.
He added: “We don’t have the infrastructure to support it, the schools, hospitals and road upgrades. Our secondary school Helena Romanes is up to capacity. There are proposals for a new secondary school in Stortford Road but that is far away on the horizon. We are likely to get the people here before we have the school.”
Cllr Easton, whose Mayoress is his wife, Margaret, has two children and four grandchildren. He has named his four charities: Dunmow Christian Care Transport, Dunmow Community Bus, The Citizens Advice Bureau and Essex Air Ambulance. His first charity engagement will be a strawberry tea dance to the Brian Williamson Band on Friday, June 26 at Foakes Hall. It will be from 2.30pm to 5pm and all welcome.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 6 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 7 Emergency bananas rescue man's 875-mile solo cycle challenge
- 8 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 9 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
The Deputy Mayor of Dunmow is Councillor Milan Milovanovich. Dunmow Town Council did not hold an election on Thursday May 7 because there were not enough candidates to contest the seats. Three members have been co-opted. They are Alex Armstrong, Daniella Frost and Carol Seaforth.