Dunmow celebrations and VE Day - now and in the past
- Credit: Great Dunmow Town Council
Great Dunmow Town Council is urging Dunmow and the surrounding villages to get involved in marking VE Day on Friday (May 8).
They are encouraging residents to decorate their homes in red, white and blue and have a stay at home garden party during this Covid-19 lockdown.
They have also asked that residents take plenty of photos of their events, so they can share them online using the hashtag #VEdayGreatDunmow, and also collect them for later, to show how great the area is.
And they want to gather photos and stories about family members and their connections to the Second World War, using the hashtag #VEDay75 on social media.
This link (https://ve-vjday75.gov.uk/get-involved/) contains online resources including tips for hosting a tea party at home, colouring, bunting and a creative challenge for children.
You may also want to watch:
If you are on Twitter, look for @DCMS on May 8 for a hero video.
Ahead of Friday, historian Dan Snow has been running a week of history lessons on YouTube and has a creative challenge for children.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 4 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 8 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 9 New Dunmow school approved but safety fears aired
- 10 Laptops and jewellery stolen during Dunmow burglary
Did you know?
Did you know that Dunmow didn’t celebrate VE Day?
Dunmow Historical Society’s Peter Street said the war in Japan had not finished when VE Day was being marked.
Their celebration was instead held on Victory Day in 1946.
“If there was anything happening for VE Day it was just spontaneous,” he told the Broadcast.