Dunmow and Dourdan twinning associations celebrate 20 years
DUNMOW Twinning Association marked the 20th anniversary with its French counterparts’ first visit last weekend by rekindling friendships and exchanging gifts.
Nearly 50 visitors from Dourdan arrived in Dunmow for the bank holiday weekend. Led by the mayor of Dourdan, Olivier Legois, the guests were treated with a visit to Windsor Castle and a celebratory dinner at Foakes Hall.
Entertainment was provided by singer Kimberley Hilton and pianist Michael Hynds before an exchange of gifts rounded off the evening.
Dunmow presented Dourdan with a painting of Eton College Chapel by Canaletto, while Dourdan reciprocated with models of a medieval siege catapult and a ‘classic’ Parisian bus.
Prior to their departure, a specially commissioned ceramic presented to the Dunmow Twinning Association during their 2010 visit to Dourdan was unveiled in the gardens of the Dunmow Maltings.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘Dourdan Pottery”’ was a gift especially commissioned by the Dourdan Twinning Association from Gerard Colin, presented to Dunmow to commemorate 20 years since the original twinning document was signed.
Dunmow Twinning Association chairman David Barron said: “The visit has been an extremely successful celebration. Everyone seems to have had a splendid time. My sincere thanks to everyone involved.”
- 1 New Hylands Estate parking charges explained
- 2 School receives copies of Grandad's Lost His Glasses
- 3 One arrest after harassment complaints in Halstead
- 4 Katie Price's alleged attacker re-bailed into November, police confirm
- 5 Scouts jamboree fun covers radio skills to Morse Code
- 6 Covid booster vaccinations scheme is rolling out at pace
- 7 Fond farewell to Sweetland's butchers after 69 years in the trade
- 8 Wethersfield to house nearly 3,500 prisoners in government plan
- 9 Revealed: why some Uttlesford car park machines no longer take cash
- 10 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
A joint visit by the two towns to a venue in northern France is being planned for later this year.
The next Dunmow Twinning event is the members’ barbecue on Sunday July 10. For tickets or information on joining, contact David Barron on 01371 859803 or firstname.lastname@example.org