Dunmow and Dourdan twinning associations celebrate 20 years
DUNMOW Twinning Association marked the 20th anniversary with its French counterparts’ first visit last weekend by rekindling friendships and exchanging gifts.
Nearly 50 visitors from Dourdan arrived in Dunmow for the bank holiday weekend. Led by the mayor of Dourdan, Olivier Legois, the guests were treated with a visit to Windsor Castle and a celebratory dinner at Foakes Hall.
Entertainment was provided by singer Kimberley Hilton and pianist Michael Hynds before an exchange of gifts rounded off the evening.
Dunmow presented Dourdan with a painting of Eton College Chapel by Canaletto, while Dourdan reciprocated with models of a medieval siege catapult and a ‘classic’ Parisian bus.
Prior to their departure, a specially commissioned ceramic presented to the Dunmow Twinning Association during their 2010 visit to Dourdan was unveiled in the gardens of the Dunmow Maltings.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘Dourdan Pottery”’ was a gift especially commissioned by the Dourdan Twinning Association from Gerard Colin, presented to Dunmow to commemorate 20 years since the original twinning document was signed.
Dunmow Twinning Association chairman David Barron said: “The visit has been an extremely successful celebration. Everyone seems to have had a splendid time. My sincere thanks to everyone involved.”
- 1 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 2 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 3 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 4 Hot lunches to support more vulnerable in community
- 5 Try this at home: Chef Webb from MasterChef's latest recipe
- 6 Swan Inn customers support the foodbank
- 7 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 8 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Green infrastructure plan and carbon reduction activities for Essex
A joint visit by the two towns to a venue in northern France is being planned for later this year.
The next Dunmow Twinning event is the members’ barbecue on Sunday July 10. For tickets or information on joining, contact David Barron on 01371 859803 or firstname.lastname@example.org