Dunmow and Dourdan twinning associations celebrate 20 years
DUNMOW Twinning Association marked the 20th anniversary with its French counterparts’ first visit last weekend by rekindling friendships and exchanging gifts.
Nearly 50 visitors from Dourdan arrived in Dunmow for the bank holiday weekend. Led by the mayor of Dourdan, Olivier Legois, the guests were treated with a visit to Windsor Castle and a celebratory dinner at Foakes Hall.
Entertainment was provided by singer Kimberley Hilton and pianist Michael Hynds before an exchange of gifts rounded off the evening.
Dunmow presented Dourdan with a painting of Eton College Chapel by Canaletto, while Dourdan reciprocated with models of a medieval siege catapult and a ‘classic’ Parisian bus.
Prior to their departure, a specially commissioned ceramic presented to the Dunmow Twinning Association during their 2010 visit to Dourdan was unveiled in the gardens of the Dunmow Maltings.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘Dourdan Pottery”’ was a gift especially commissioned by the Dourdan Twinning Association from Gerard Colin, presented to Dunmow to commemorate 20 years since the original twinning document was signed.
Dunmow Twinning Association chairman David Barron said: “The visit has been an extremely successful celebration. Everyone seems to have had a splendid time. My sincere thanks to everyone involved.”
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 5 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 6 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 9 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 10 New cycle network consultation announced
A joint visit by the two towns to a venue in northern France is being planned for later this year.
The next Dunmow Twinning event is the members’ barbecue on Sunday July 10. For tickets or information on joining, contact David Barron on 01371 859803 or email@example.com