Drama group seeks young men following musical cancellation
AN AMATEUR operatic society is calling for young men to come forward to take part in its productions after having to cancel the musical Oklahoma! The Saffron Walden Amateur Operatic Society (SWAOS) has blamed a lack of young men in Saffron Walden who can
AN AMATEUR operatic society is calling for young men to come forward to take part in its productions after having to cancel the musical Oklahoma!
The Saffron Walden Amateur Operatic Society (SWAOS) has blamed a lack of young men in Saffron Walden who can sing and move a bit for the cancellation of the show, which was due to be staged this year.
SWAOS business manager Susan Walker believed the increasing hours people work nowadays was contributing to the lack of young men enrolling, along with the growth of working from home which was making people more reluctant to go out in the evening.
She said Oklahoma! had to be cancelled because there were a number of roles for younger men, and the society's older members could not fill them because you could not have a 50-year-old man playing the part of a 20-year-old.
You may also want to watch:
The drama group is looking in particular for young men aged between 18 and 30.
Mrs Walker said although there were young men in the group's youth section who could have potentially played the characters, they were not allowed to perform in adult plays.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 6 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 New cycle network consultation announced
- 9 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 10 Summer art competition for children launched by school
Instead of the full scale show planned for 2006, the group will instead be holding a cabaret evening in March.
Any young man interested in joining can do so by phoning Ron on 01799 523548.