Drama group seeks young men following musical cancellation
AN AMATEUR operatic society is calling for young men to come forward to take part in its productions after having to cancel the musical Oklahoma! The Saffron Walden Amateur Operatic Society (SWAOS) has blamed a lack of young men in Saffron Walden who can
AN AMATEUR operatic society is calling for young men to come forward to take part in its productions after having to cancel the musical Oklahoma!
The Saffron Walden Amateur Operatic Society (SWAOS) has blamed a lack of young men in Saffron Walden who can sing and move a bit for the cancellation of the show, which was due to be staged this year.
SWAOS business manager Susan Walker believed the increasing hours people work nowadays was contributing to the lack of young men enrolling, along with the growth of working from home which was making people more reluctant to go out in the evening.
She said Oklahoma! had to be cancelled because there were a number of roles for younger men, and the society's older members could not fill them because you could not have a 50-year-old man playing the part of a 20-year-old.
You may also want to watch:
The drama group is looking in particular for young men aged between 18 and 30.
Mrs Walker said although there were young men in the group's youth section who could have potentially played the characters, they were not allowed to perform in adult plays.
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 9 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 10 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
Instead of the full scale show planned for 2006, the group will instead be holding a cabaret evening in March.
Any young man interested in joining can do so by phoning Ron on 01799 523548.