Drama group seeks young men following musical cancellation
AN AMATEUR operatic society is calling for young men to come forward to take part in its productions after having to cancel the musical Oklahoma! The Saffron Walden Amateur Operatic Society (SWAOS) has blamed a lack of young men in Saffron Walden who can
AN AMATEUR operatic society is calling for young men to come forward to take part in its productions after having to cancel the musical Oklahoma!
The Saffron Walden Amateur Operatic Society (SWAOS) has blamed a lack of young men in Saffron Walden who can sing and move a bit for the cancellation of the show, which was due to be staged this year.
SWAOS business manager Susan Walker believed the increasing hours people work nowadays was contributing to the lack of young men enrolling, along with the growth of working from home which was making people more reluctant to go out in the evening.
She said Oklahoma! had to be cancelled because there were a number of roles for younger men, and the society's older members could not fill them because you could not have a 50-year-old man playing the part of a 20-year-old.
The drama group is looking in particular for young men aged between 18 and 30.
Mrs Walker said although there were young men in the group's youth section who could have potentially played the characters, they were not allowed to perform in adult plays.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 Parishes join forces to oppose 'unsustainable' housing idea near Hatfield Heath
- 4 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 5 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 6 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 7 Uttlesford elects its first female leader in council's 47-year history
- 8 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
Instead of the full scale show planned for 2006, the group will instead be holding a cabaret evening in March.
Any young man interested in joining can do so by phoning Ron on 01799 523548.