Double celebration for Maria at Felsted School
- Credit: Archant
LAST week saw a double celebration at Felsted School.
Maria Farrow celebrated her 80th Birthday on Tuesday, 19th February and also 60 years of service at the school.
Maria first joined Felsted in 1953 at the age of 20, having answered an advert to work at the School.
She was collected from Victoria Station by Mr Mason, Housemaster of Follyfield, to be a chef at the Boarding House. Hailing from Italy,
Maria was not able to speak a word of English, however began to quickly pick up the language whilst cooking for the 90 Follyfield boys.
You may also want to watch:
Maria worked in Follyfeild for six years before marrying her husband, a local Englishman. She then moved to Elwyn’s, where she catered for the boys for 25 years.
She has since migrated over the road, to the Preparatory School, where she helped in the kitchen, and has now become a familiar face at match teas.
- 1 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 4 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 5 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 6 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 7 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 8 This week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on July 22, 2021
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Fun T2 cricket match and BBQ help to celebrate Dunmow's 125th anniversary
Some lovely anecdotes have been shared in honour of Maria’s spectacular service to Felsted.
When Maria was pregnant with her daughter, she was making Apple Pies when she started to feel a slight pain. She continued with her work, ignoring the discomfort and finished the pies. She then returned home and swiftly gave birth.
Maria has many fond memories of Felsted, making wonderful friends and enjoying every moment. She was joined by Jill, an old friend and colleague of 35 years and a host of both operational and teaching staff to celebrate her birthday.