Double celebration for Maria at Felsted School
- Credit: Archant
LAST week saw a double celebration at Felsted School.
Maria Farrow celebrated her 80th Birthday on Tuesday, 19th February and also 60 years of service at the school.
Maria first joined Felsted in 1953 at the age of 20, having answered an advert to work at the School.
She was collected from Victoria Station by Mr Mason, Housemaster of Follyfield, to be a chef at the Boarding House. Hailing from Italy,
Maria was not able to speak a word of English, however began to quickly pick up the language whilst cooking for the 90 Follyfield boys.
You may also want to watch:
Maria worked in Follyfeild for six years before marrying her husband, a local Englishman. She then moved to Elwyn’s, where she catered for the boys for 25 years.
She has since migrated over the road, to the Preparatory School, where she helped in the kitchen, and has now become a familiar face at match teas.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
Some lovely anecdotes have been shared in honour of Maria’s spectacular service to Felsted.
When Maria was pregnant with her daughter, she was making Apple Pies when she started to feel a slight pain. She continued with her work, ignoring the discomfort and finished the pies. She then returned home and swiftly gave birth.
Maria has many fond memories of Felsted, making wonderful friends and enjoying every moment. She was joined by Jill, an old friend and colleague of 35 years and a host of both operational and teaching staff to celebrate her birthday.