Double celebration for Maria at Felsted School
- Credit: Archant
LAST week saw a double celebration at Felsted School.
Maria Farrow celebrated her 80th Birthday on Tuesday, 19th February and also 60 years of service at the school.
Maria first joined Felsted in 1953 at the age of 20, having answered an advert to work at the School.
She was collected from Victoria Station by Mr Mason, Housemaster of Follyfield, to be a chef at the Boarding House. Hailing from Italy,
Maria was not able to speak a word of English, however began to quickly pick up the language whilst cooking for the 90 Follyfield boys.
Maria worked in Follyfeild for six years before marrying her husband, a local Englishman. She then moved to Elwyn’s, where she catered for the boys for 25 years.
She has since migrated over the road, to the Preparatory School, where she helped in the kitchen, and has now become a familiar face at match teas.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 6 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
Some lovely anecdotes have been shared in honour of Maria’s spectacular service to Felsted.
When Maria was pregnant with her daughter, she was making Apple Pies when she started to feel a slight pain. She continued with her work, ignoring the discomfort and finished the pies. She then returned home and swiftly gave birth.
Maria has many fond memories of Felsted, making wonderful friends and enjoying every moment. She was joined by Jill, an old friend and colleague of 35 years and a host of both operational and teaching staff to celebrate her birthday.