Distraction thieves target elderly woman in Dunmow car park
- Credit: Archant
An elderly woman is warning residents after she was approached by a couple in a distraction theft in Dunmow earlier this week.
Jenny Green, 70, of Manor Road, Little Easton, was parked in the pay and display car park behind the Saracens Head Hotel on Tuesday (February 2) when the incident took place.
Mrs Green said as she got out of her car to get something from the boot, she was approached by a man in his 20s, thought to be Eastern European, who began talking to her in broken English.
While the conversation was taking place, and unbeknown to Mrs Green, a woman, also in her 20s, got into the car through the front passenger door and began searching the vehicle.
A member of the public alerted Mrs Green to the woman’s presence and the pair ran off.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Green said the woman had been through her bag and purse, which was on the front passenger seat, and one Debenhams gift card, worth £20, two reward cards, and two membership cards had been stolen.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: “Police were called to report a man and a woman acting suspiciously in a car park behind the Saracens Head at around noon.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 Broomfield nurse still struggling with Covid-19 after effects
- 3 Holidaymakers fly abroad again out of Stansted Airport
- 4 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 5 Hoarding can cause higher risk of fire, says emergency service
- 6 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 7 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 8 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 9 New cycle network consultation announced
- 10 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
“The man and woman approached the woman who was getting into her car, but left when challenged by members of the public.”
Mrs Green said she had not reported the cards to the police because she did not realise what had been stolen.