David Cameron speaks out against Stansted expansion
TORY leader and possible prime minister in waiting, David Cameron, has cast a huge shadow over expansion plans at Stansted Airport. Speaking on BBC television Mr Cameron spoke out against building a second runway at Stansted Airport and indicated that his
TORY leader and possible prime minister in waiting, David Cameron, has cast a huge shadow over expansion plans at Stansted Airport.
Speaking on BBC television Mr Cameron spoke out against building a second runway at Stansted Airport and indicated that his party opposes any plans for extra runways at both Heathrow and Stansted.
He said: "We have never supported plans for a second runway at Stansted. What we support is the high speed rail link option from London to Birmingham and Manchester which we think would radically reduce the number of internal flights and take the pressure off airport expansion."
Asked directly if there would be no second runway at Stansted under a Conservative Government, David Cameron replied: "We've said that it's never been part of our plans."
You may also want to watch:
The news came on Wednesday morning (October 1) during an interview at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham and has been predictably greeted with welcome arms from campaigners against expansion.
Carol Barbone, director of the Stops Stansted Expansion Group, said: "The Conservatives have long acknowledged that Stansted, as a leisure-airport, is not of any strategic importance to the UK economy. Nevertheless, to have confirmation from the party leader is highly significant for our campaign."
- 1 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 2 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 9 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 10 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
"We cannot be complacent however, or rely solely on a change of Government to thwart the second runway plans and our challenge now is to prepare our case for the public inquiry which will take place to consider the application, starting next April. Two public inquiry Inspectors and one Royal Commission have ruled against major development at Stansted over the past 40 years. We will do everything in our power to ensure that history is repeated with the rejection of this latest attempt to make Stansted bigger than Heathrow.