Daring thieves delve into Dunmow cricket dressing room during match and steal mobile phone and car
- Credit: Archant
Officials at Dunmow Cricket Club have been left “gutted” after daring thieves waltzed into changing rooms while a match was in progress and stole valuables and a Mercedes from the car park.
Two men, one of which wore white trousers to blend in with players, were seen at the club, in St Edmunds Lane, sometime between 3.35pm and 3.55pm on Sunday, May 15.
As a friendly match between Dunmow and GT’s took place in front of around 20 spectators, witnesses described how the man in cricket whites made his way into the dressing rooms while the other man waited outside.
A wallet containing bank and store cards, an iPhone, and some cash was taken as well as the keys to a Mercedes ML350, which was then stolen.
Club secretary Kath Gibson said: “I can’t believe the bare-faced cheek of them to just stroll into the changing rooms while the game was going on in full view of spectators.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a shocking thing to happen, and we’re just gutted. It damages the reputation of the club and could affect whether people choose to join us.
“The player who had his car stolen was a player we were trying to get to join the club, and whatever must he be thinking? He went out on a Sunday afternoon for a game of cricket, and ended up having his car nicked.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Felsted announces STEM competition winners
- 8 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
“It’s a nightmare, and we may have to look to get some lockers or having someone on the door while games are going on. You don’t want to become all security conscious but what choice do we have?”
A spokeswoman for Essex Police said: “Police are investigating a burglary at Dunmow Cricket Club in St Edmunds Lane, Dunmow.
“Two men entered the changing rooms sometime between about 3.35pm and 3.55pm on May 15 and stole a black iPhone 5s, a wallet containing bank and store cards, and some cash. The keys to a silver Mercedes ML350 were also taken and the car was stolen.
“Enquiries are ongoing and witnesses who saw anybody acting suspiciously in the area at the time or have any information are asked to contact police on 101.”