Couple travel on together
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary. 86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that the
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary.
86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that their long-term marriage secret is about "give and take".
The couple met at a barn dance in High Easter, were married in 1944 and then took a break from the war effort to spend a two-week honeymoon in Scotland.
Betty said: "After we courted for a while Ken proposed to me in 1942 at the Axe and Compass pub. Although he didn't get down on one knee, I was still very happy and said yes straightaway.
You may also want to watch:
"We got married at the church in Margaret Roding and had our reception at the old primary school that used to be there."
After the war Ken was a farmer, blacksmith and even owned and managed a chip shop in Chelmsford.
- 1 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 2 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 5 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 6 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 7 Vulnerable Uttlesford residents set for council tax rate freeze
- 8 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 9 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 10 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
Betty said: "He is a jack of all trades and I love him very much. Ever since we have been together we have shared the same passion for travelling. That has given us our best memories.
"We have been to America, Canada, and all over Europe since we retired and we will continue to visit our little villa in the Canaries.