Couple travel on together
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary. 86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that the
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary.
86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that their long-term marriage secret is about "give and take".
The couple met at a barn dance in High Easter, were married in 1944 and then took a break from the war effort to spend a two-week honeymoon in Scotland.
Betty said: "After we courted for a while Ken proposed to me in 1942 at the Axe and Compass pub. Although he didn't get down on one knee, I was still very happy and said yes straightaway.
"We got married at the church in Margaret Roding and had our reception at the old primary school that used to be there."
After the war Ken was a farmer, blacksmith and even owned and managed a chip shop in Chelmsford.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 5 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 6 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 7 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 8 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 9 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 10 Stebbing Tractor Run 2022 delights the crowds: In pictures
Betty said: "He is a jack of all trades and I love him very much. Ever since we have been together we have shared the same passion for travelling. That has given us our best memories.
"We have been to America, Canada, and all over Europe since we retired and we will continue to visit our little villa in the Canaries.