Couple travel on together
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary. 86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that the
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary.
86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that their long-term marriage secret is about "give and take".
The couple met at a barn dance in High Easter, were married in 1944 and then took a break from the war effort to spend a two-week honeymoon in Scotland.
Betty said: "After we courted for a while Ken proposed to me in 1942 at the Axe and Compass pub. Although he didn't get down on one knee, I was still very happy and said yes straightaway.
You may also want to watch:
"We got married at the church in Margaret Roding and had our reception at the old primary school that used to be there."
After the war Ken was a farmer, blacksmith and even owned and managed a chip shop in Chelmsford.
- 1 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 2 Secretary of state to consider overturning Finchingfield houses approval
- 3 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 4 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 5 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 6 Dozens of illegal fishing nets and traps seized during pandemic
- 7 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 8 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 9 'I can walk 500 miles' - chairman's Scottish celebrations during charity trek
- 10 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
Betty said: "He is a jack of all trades and I love him very much. Ever since we have been together we have shared the same passion for travelling. That has given us our best memories.
"We have been to America, Canada, and all over Europe since we retired and we will continue to visit our little villa in the Canaries.