Couple travel on together
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary. 86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that the
A WELL-TRAVELLED couple who got married during the Second World War have shared their 65th wedding anniversary.
86-year-olds Betty and Kenneth Rolph, of Holloway Crescent, Leaden Roding, reached the blue sapphire milestone on April 8 and they say that their long-term marriage secret is about "give and take".
The couple met at a barn dance in High Easter, were married in 1944 and then took a break from the war effort to spend a two-week honeymoon in Scotland.
Betty said: "After we courted for a while Ken proposed to me in 1942 at the Axe and Compass pub. Although he didn't get down on one knee, I was still very happy and said yes straightaway.
You may also want to watch:
"We got married at the church in Margaret Roding and had our reception at the old primary school that used to be there."
After the war Ken was a farmer, blacksmith and even owned and managed a chip shop in Chelmsford.
- 1 New Stansted business park could support more than 3,000 jobs
- 2 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 3 New Hylands Estate parking charges explained
- 4 'Outstanding' Town Award winners unveiled
- 5 Bid to 'join' Dunmow and Easton with more than 1,000 homes blocked
- 6 Ball bearings shot at Leaden Roding car
- 7 Creamfields Chelmsford 2022 tickets to go on sale this month
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Valentine's Flitch Ball to take place this February
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
Betty said: "He is a jack of all trades and I love him very much. Ever since we have been together we have shared the same passion for travelling. That has given us our best memories.
"We have been to America, Canada, and all over Europe since we retired and we will continue to visit our little villa in the Canaries.