Council warns residents over council tax
RESIDENTS are being warned that fraudsters are targeting council tax payers over the phone and have urged them not to give out any personal bank details.
Braintree District Council is once again keen to warn residents that phone fraudsters are in action across the district.
A spokesman said: “A number of residents have reported that they had received telephone calls at their homes informing them they are due a substantial refund on the council tax payments they have made.
“Posing as employees of a government department, the callers promise a council tax refund – they then ask the householder to provide their bank account details.
“The council wishes to stress that, under no circumstances should a resident give their bank account details over the phone.”
You may also want to watch:
HAVE you been targeted? Call us on 01799 512882 and tell us your story.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 3 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 4 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 5 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 6 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 Uttlesford's shops still suffer from low footfall, Google data shows
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease