Council warns residents over council tax
RESIDENTS are being warned that fraudsters are targeting council tax payers over the phone and have urged them not to give out any personal bank details.
Braintree District Council is once again keen to warn residents that phone fraudsters are in action across the district.
A spokesman said: “A number of residents have reported that they had received telephone calls at their homes informing them they are due a substantial refund on the council tax payments they have made.
“Posing as employees of a government department, the callers promise a council tax refund – they then ask the householder to provide their bank account details.
“The council wishes to stress that, under no circumstances should a resident give their bank account details over the phone.”
You may also want to watch:
HAVE you been targeted? Call us on 01799 512882 and tell us your story.
- 1 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 2 Interest in women and girls cricket rises following anniversary event
- 3 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 4 Dunmow's Macmillan coffee and cake success despite stolen banner
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 7 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed
- 8 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 9 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 10 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision