Controversial plans for 150 homes in Uttlesford village given go ahead
- Credit: Archant
Detailed planning permission for the controversial building of 155 homes in Elsenham have been given the go-ahead.
The amended version of the David Wilson Homes development for land north of Stansted Road was pushed through at a meeting of the district planning committee last Wednesday, after their previous application was rejected in March this year.
“Obviously it’s very disappointing that it’s gone through,” Elsenham district councillor Elizabeth Parr told the Reporter.
“I think Elsenham has taken enough housing. I appreciate the village needs to expand, but the rate and the amount it’s expanding is far too much, without putting in the infrastructure and improving the roads.”
The former site of car body repair outfit Essex Auto spray will be demolished for the development, which includes 55 extra care units and a ‘multi-use community building’.
You may also want to watch:
Campaigner Margaret Shaw announced the “depressing news” on the Elsenham & Henham Newsline last week.
“Let’s hope a new district council will truly reflect the views of residents, reform the procedures of UDC, make sure councillors know how the planning system works and not allow themselves to be browbeaten by central government, developers and council officers. There are plenty of Brownfield sites that should be developed before they build on the countryside.”
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 3 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 4 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 5 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 6 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 7 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
- 8 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 9 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 10 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
The approved homes are to be built on land between Elsenham playing fields and Alsa Wood, where a controversial 55 home development was refused in October.
However, campaigners are renewing their Save Alsa Wood campaign against a revised application by Stansted Road LLP for 40 homes on the Elsenham Nurseries site, which has now been submitted.
A decision on an outline planning application for 800 new homes next to Elsenham railway station, part of a 3,000 home masterplan, is expected to be decided after the today’s elections.