Connie clocks up 90
A SPECIAL tea party was held to mark Inner Wheel Day and the 90th birthday of Dunmow Inner Wheel club s oldest and longest-serving member Connie Bryant. Mrs Bryant has been a member of the club for 43 years and has twice been president. Born in Southend a
A SPECIAL tea party was held to mark Inner Wheel Day and the 90th birthday of Dunmow Inner Wheel club's oldest and longest-serving member Connie Bryant.
Mrs Bryant has been a member of the club for 43 years and has twice been president.
Born in Southend as the eldest of five children, she attended Southend High School for Girls before working for Barclays Bank when she left school aged 17. There she met Bill, whom she married in 1944.
Mrs Bryant has had a life-long interest and love of the theatre. She joined Southend Operatic Society in 1938 where, alongside the other society members, she entertained troops on the gun sites situated along the Essex coastline.
You may also want to watch:
She has three children who, in her words, are "all very good" to her. After her husband died, she returned to banking and worked different posts and finally at Dunmow until her retirement.
Apart from knowing her through numerous appearances with the Dunmow Players, many local people will recall seeing her walking her beloved schnauzer, Fleur.
- 1 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 2 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 3 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 5 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 6 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 7 Vulnerable Uttlesford residents set for council tax rate freeze
- 8 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 9 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
In conclusion of the afternoon, Inner Wheel president Jane Askew presented Mrs Bryant with a special Inner Wheel badge on behalf of all members. She was also presented with flowers and a birthday cake made by past president June Milne.