Comedy of errors as phone box is cut off
TOWN officials have expressed their disbelief after an important phone box was cut off despite taxpayers paying �500 to keep it functioning. Renewed calls to EDF Energy Networks, who carried out the disconnection work, have been made by Dunmow town clerk
TOWN officials have expressed their disbelief after an important phone box was cut off despite taxpayers paying �500 to keep it functioning.
Renewed calls to EDF Energy Networks, who carried out the disconnection work, have been made by Dunmow town clerk Owen Wilson, who said that the phone box - located outside Foakes Hall - is still disconnected.
"It has been completely farcical. Workmen turned up to disconnect the phone box last week and I tried to intervene, only to be told that they had a ticket to do so," he said.
"After making a number of calls more workmen came to fill in the resulting hole days later, but did not reconnect the phone."
You may also want to watch:
He added: "The whole situation has been like a comedy sketch, but we are not seeing the funny side because the phone box is an important contact point in an emergency - it is the only phone box in the centre of town."
A British Telecom consultation conducted last year gave the opportunity for councillors to save the old red telephone box, at a cost of �500.
- 1 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 2 Revealed: UDC considers almost 300 possible new development sites
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 5 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Q&A: Former Uttlesford District Council leader Howard Rolfe
- 8 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 9 Vulnerable Uttlesford residents set for council tax rate freeze
- 10 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
Mr Wilson said: "The investment was made and we chose to keep the phone operational. All of these problems have come from communication companies not communicating."
BT confirmed that the box had been "adopted" by the town council and that it would not be removed.
EDF Energy Networks, who contracted the workman to carry out the removal, apologised for the confusion.
A spokesman said: "The power was disconnected in error as part of a countywide order to disconnect boxes - including over 40 in the Dunmow area. Our contractors have been asked to reconnect the box and we apologise for any inconvenience."
The phone was to be reconnected on Tuesday but flood waters halted progress. EDF said that the work will take place as a matter of urgency.