Charges dropped against husband

PUBLISHED: 14:33 16 November 2006 | UPDATED: 21:26 29 May 2010

A MAN accused of falsely imprisoning his wife and causing her grievous bodily harm walked free from Chelmsford Crown Court on Friday when the prosecution dropped the charges against him. At an earlier hearing in September Barry Creasey, 62, protested his

A MAN accused of falsely imprisoning his wife and causing her grievous bodily harm walked free from Chelmsford Crown Court on Friday when the prosecution dropped the charges against him.

At an earlier hearing in September Barry Creasey, 62, protested his innocence from the dock and said the proceedings had caused "incalculable damage" to his family.

Creasey, of Walden Road, Thaxted, had been committed for trial accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm on his wife Susan and falsely imprisoning her on July 19 this year.

Creasey denied both charges and his trial was fixed to take place on January 22. But prosecutor Marc Cannatella told the court on Friday that lawyers had reconsidered the case and decided to offer no evidence.

He said the Crown had reviewed the matter and decided there were great concerns regarding the aggrieved's credibility in the case.

Defence counsel, Mark Roochove, said Creasey was grateful the charges had been dropped but expressed his concerns it had taken so long.

Judge Peter Fenn directed that verdicts of not guilty be entered and told Creasey that he was discharged.

He added: "It's a shame it's taken this long. This incident is now over. You are free to go.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Dunmow Broadcast