Club marks 100 years with centenary orchard
- Credit: Dunmow Bowling Club
Dunmow Bowling Club is celebrating 100 years, and a Centenary Orchard has been created within the grounds as a lasting memento of the milestone.
Twenty mixed fruit trees have been purchased from the East Of England Apples & Pears Project, sponsored and planted by members.
In 1921 a practising solicitor in the town, Albert Edward Floyd, gifted the club a bowling green. It was located off what is now known as Venmore Drive.
On October 19, 2007 the club moved to a new bespoke green and premises which were built by Taylor Wimpey at St Edmunds Lane, opposite the Cricket Club just off Braintree Road.
Several prestigious matches have been arranged throughout the 2021 season including Bowls England (mixed teams), Essex County Men’s Association and the Essex County Women’s Association.
New members are always welcome and free training is available without obligation for those aged 12 upwards. Contact Linda White 07779 939166.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 6 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 7 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 8 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 9 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
- 10 'I'm proud of how far I've come' - Dunmow mum shares her weight loss experience