Club marks 100 years with centenary orchard
- Credit: Dunmow Bowling Club
Dunmow Bowling Club is celebrating 100 years, and a Centenary Orchard has been created within the grounds as a lasting memento of the milestone.
Twenty mixed fruit trees have been purchased from the East Of England Apples & Pears Project, sponsored and planted by members.
In 1921 a practising solicitor in the town, Albert Edward Floyd, gifted the club a bowling green. It was located off what is now known as Venmore Drive.
On October 19, 2007 the club moved to a new bespoke green and premises which were built by Taylor Wimpey at St Edmunds Lane, opposite the Cricket Club just off Braintree Road.
Several prestigious matches have been arranged throughout the 2021 season including Bowls England (mixed teams), Essex County Men’s Association and the Essex County Women’s Association.
You may also want to watch:
New members are always welcome and free training is available without obligation for those aged 12 upwards. Contact Linda White 07779 939166.
- 1 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 2 Prince Philip death: Uttlesford service and Garden of Remembrance
- 3 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 4 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 5 Revealed: Essex hospital treatment waiting time data
- 6 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 7 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 8 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
- 9 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 10 Great Easton pub sells at auction