Cameron opposes second runway
TORY leader David Cameron has cast a huge shadow over expansion plans at Stansted Airport. Speaking on BBC television Mr Cameron spoke out against building a second runway at Stansted Airport and indicated that his party opposes any plans for extra runway
TORY leader David Cameron has cast a huge shadow over expansion plans at Stansted Airport.
Speaking on BBC television Mr Cameron spoke out against building a second runway at Stansted Airport and indicated that his party opposes any plans for extra runways at both Heathrow and Stansted.
He said: "We have never supported plans for a second runway at Stansted. What we support is the high speed rail link option from London to Birmingham and Manchester which we think would radically reduce the number of internal flights and take the pressure off airport expansion."
Asked directly if there would be a second runway at Stansted under a Conservative Government, David Cameron replied: "We've said that it's never been part of our plans."
You may also want to watch:
The news came last Wednesday morning during an interview at the Conservative Party conference in Birmingham and has been welcomed with open arms by campaigners against expansion.
Carol Barbone, director of the Stops Stansted Expansion Group, said: "The Conservatives have long acknowledged that Stansted, as a leisure airport, is not of any strategic importance to the UK economy. Nevertheless, to have confirmation from the party leader is highly significant for our campaign.
- 1 Air ambulance and four land vehicles called to Essex emergency
- 2 In pictures: First ever Summer Solstice Sundown festival a hit
- 3 Two taken to hospital after Little Dunmow collision
- 4 In pictures: Stebbing tractor run 2021
- 5 Draft plans for 49 new Thaxted homes unveiled
- 6 Saturday recital to mark 200th anniversary of Thaxted organ
- 7 Half empty or half full weekend depending on whether you play for Dunmow's firsts or seconds
- 8 New M11 junction hits 'major milestone'
- 9 The 2021 Stebbing Tractor Run route
- 10 Debut Dunmow festival set for sellout success
"We cannot be complacent however, or rely solely on a change of Government to thwart the second runway plans and our challenge now is to prepare our case for the public inquiry which will take place to consider the application, starting next April.
"Two public inquiry Inspectors and one Royal Commission have ruled against major development at Stansted over the past 40 years.
"We will do everything in our power to ensure that history is repeated with the rejection of this latest attempt to make Stansted bigger than Heathrow.