Budding Olympians receive rewards
SIX athletes from Helena Romanes School, including prospective Olympians, were presented with grant cheques from Rotary Club of Dunmow on Thursday. Charlotte Wraith, Steven Sewell, Emma Fidge, Sarah Smith, Stuart Fallas and Lee Wilson all excel in their c
SIX athletes from Helena Romanes School, including prospective Olympians, were presented with grant cheques from Rotary Club of Dunmow on Thursday.
Charlotte Wraith, Steven Sewell, Emma Fidge, Sarah Smith, Stuart Fallas and Lee Wilson all excel in their chosen disciplines - three have even been described as serious prospects for the 2012 Olympic games.
Making the presentations was Chris Dyer, Chairman of SportsAid Eastern Region.
Charlotte Wraith received £500 to help her with her judo training. She has won gold in every Judo tournament in which she has taken part, but was unable to be present for her award as she is competing in Kiev, Ukraine.
You may also want to watch:
Steven Sewell is a BMX cyclist who won Silver in the European Championships at Wheel Park. There was £500 for Sarah Smith who is number one in her age group for the county. The Paralympics representation is now recognised, and Mr Dyer said he was pleased to award £400 to Stuart Fallas, a wheelchair sprinter, who is taking part in the London Marathon this year.
Emma Fidge is a middle distance runner who, despite recent injuries, has the potential to go far. She received £250.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 5 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 8 Your opinion matters: Help to shape the future of your newspaper
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
Lee Wilson plays golf at Rivenhall Golf Club and was given £250 to help fund entry fees for competitions.
Matt Fletcher, head of physical education at Helena Romanes School, said that it was reassuring to have such talent in the area.
Also present were head teacher Simon Knight, Rotary Club president Richard Amott and rotarians Peter Fox and Simon Roberts, club sports officer.