Braintree has much to offer the cycling connoisseur as district gears up for Le Tour de France
- Credit: Archant
Whilst it may only be in the district for 20 minutes, villages across Braintree have much to offer for the cycling connoisseur.
From Britain’s most photographed village in Finchingfield, to the tight right hand bend in Wethersfield, the long fast straight of Shalford or the Railway Bridge and turn in Rayne, Braintree is the ideal location to watch the world’s best riders on this third leg of the race.
Proceeded by the colourful Caravanne Publicitaire at around 11.15am the Tour is expected to reach the Braintree district just after 1pm.
To celebrate the event a host of events and activities will be taking place. In Rayne and Finchingfield large TV screens will take centre stage to give visitors the chance to watch the race in its entirety.
Stalls and entertainment will also be on offer on Finchingfield village green with hog roast, crepes and ice creams all available, as well as a cycling clothing stall, a spinning bike challenge and specially created food hampers all on offer.
In Wethersfield a French-themed café will be operating from the village hall, whilst a range of stalls and food concessions will be available on the green. Street performers will be keeping crowds entertained throughout the day and renowned Tour De France historian Roger St Pierre will be giving a presentation on the history of the tour.
A host of musical acts will also be greeting the crowds in Rayne with the Booking Hall Café’s annual music festival running throughout the weekend and Monday. The line-up will showcase a wide variety of talent from the area ranging from jazz and blues to contemporary pop. Stall and concessions will also be available throughout the village and Braintree BMX club will be on hand providing demonstrations.
- 1 Plans unveiled for 22 new Hatfield Broad Oak homes
- 2 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 3 Braintree burglary sparks Essex Police appeal
- 4 Dunmow St Mary's pupils scoop 14 medals in school sport series
- 5 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 6 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 7 Environmental action: Dunmow boutique Wardrobe holding eco-swap
- 8 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 9 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
- 10 Firefighters rescue curious cat from Great Notley drainpipe
Thinking of Camping?
Why not make the most of the experience and get the perfect viewing spot by camping overnight ahead of the tour.
On offer in the district are:
• Boydells Dairy Farm, Wethersfield
01371 850481, email@example.com
• Golden Grove camp site, Great Saling
07917 592310, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Shalford Playing Fields camp site, Shalford Village Hall,
07505 282374, email@example.com,
• Spains Hall Estate, Finchingfield
01371 811596, firstname.lastname@example.org