Braintree District Council to introduce new food waste recycling service
A NEW weekly food waste collection service is coming to the Braintree district an effort to stop over 5,000 tonnes of food spilling into landfills.
Over 40,000 households in the district will benefit from the service, which comes into effect in September and is being fully funded by Essex County Council and delivered by Braintree District Council.
Residents will receive an information letter from the district council this June before, in August, they will get a new, small and easy to carry food waste bin together with instruction pack.
The county council’s cabinet member for the environment Wendy Schmitt said: “This is great news for the majority of our residents who will now have their food waste collected every week.
“With everyone’s participation this service will ensure a drastic reduction in how much we send to landfill - helping to keep our environment clean and green.”
One of the benefits of the new service is that the majority of garden waste collected in the district will now be ‘food waste free’ and so can more easily be turned into compost.
“This means that anyone on the new weekly food collections should no longer put food waste directly into their green wheeled bins.
- 1 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 2 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 3 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 4 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 5 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 6 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 7 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 8 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 9 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 10 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
People wishing to know if they will benefit from the service can visit the council’s website braintree.gov.uk or e-mail: email@example.com or telephone 01376 552525.
• The recycling team will also be out and about to answer any questions at the following food waste roadshows:
Friday July 15, The Grove Shopping Centre, Witham: 9:30am-3pm
Wednesday July 20, George Yard, Braintree: 9am-4pm
Friday July 22, Weavers Court, Halstead: 9am-2pm