Braintree District Council to introduce new food waste recycling service
A NEW weekly food waste collection service is coming to the Braintree district an effort to stop over 5,000 tonnes of food spilling into landfills.
Over 40,000 households in the district will benefit from the service, which comes into effect in September and is being fully funded by Essex County Council and delivered by Braintree District Council.
Residents will receive an information letter from the district council this June before, in August, they will get a new, small and easy to carry food waste bin together with instruction pack.
The county council’s cabinet member for the environment Wendy Schmitt said: “This is great news for the majority of our residents who will now have their food waste collected every week.
“With everyone’s participation this service will ensure a drastic reduction in how much we send to landfill - helping to keep our environment clean and green.”
You may also want to watch:
One of the benefits of the new service is that the majority of garden waste collected in the district will now be ‘food waste free’ and so can more easily be turned into compost.
“This means that anyone on the new weekly food collections should no longer put food waste directly into their green wheeled bins.
- 1 Essex County Council approves council tax increase
- 2 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 3 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 4 Hot lunches to support more vulnerable in community
- 5 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement
- 6 Dolly the pig gets help after getting stuck in the mud
- 7 Man jailed for at least 18 years after murdering partner out of jealousy
- 8 Swan Inn customers support the foodbank
- 9 Former POW camp on council heritage list
- 10 Work placements for almost 200 ARU student nurses
People wishing to know if they will benefit from the service can visit the council’s website braintree.gov.uk or e-mail: email@example.com or telephone 01376 552525.
• The recycling team will also be out and about to answer any questions at the following food waste roadshows:
Friday July 15, The Grove Shopping Centre, Witham: 9:30am-3pm
Wednesday July 20, George Yard, Braintree: 9am-4pm
Friday July 22, Weavers Court, Halstead: 9am-2pm