Boxing legend thrills pub-goers
FORMER European Welterweight Champion, Dave Boy Green, enthralled pub-goers at the Black Horse pub in White Roding on Monday (December 18). The Chatteris champion, nicknamed The Fen Tiger, visited the pub to publicise his new biography, show people vide
FORMER European Welterweight Champion, Dave 'Boy' Green, enthralled pub-goers at the Black Horse pub in White Roding on Monday (December 18).
The Chatteris champion, nicknamed The Fen Tiger, visited the pub to publicise his new biography, show people videos of his fights and answer questions on his boxing career.
Landlord Jim Thorpe, a boxing fan, said he was thrilled to have had the local legend in the pub.
"The evening went really well," he said. "We had a good turnout and it was a good night.
You may also want to watch:
"A video of his fight against Joey Singleton was shown, so people had a chance to see the way he used to fight, then he spent time answering questions and signing copies of his book."
Dave 'Boy' Green enjoyed considerable success during his career, which spanned from December 1974 to November 1981.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 3 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 4 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 5 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 8 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 9 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 10 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
During that time he took part in 41 professional fights and won 37. Twenty-nine of his victories came inside the distance.
His most dramatic loss was against Sugar Ray Leonard, with whom Dave 'Boy' Green fought for the WBC Welterweight Championship in March 1980.
The Fen Tiger's biography, Fen Tiger: The Success of Dave 'Boy' Green, is on sale now.