Boxing legend thrills pub-goers
FORMER European Welterweight Champion, Dave Boy Green, enthralled pub-goers at the Black Horse pub in White Roding on Monday (December 18). The Chatteris champion, nicknamed The Fen Tiger, visited the pub to publicise his new biography, show people vide
FORMER European Welterweight Champion, Dave 'Boy' Green, enthralled pub-goers at the Black Horse pub in White Roding on Monday (December 18).
The Chatteris champion, nicknamed The Fen Tiger, visited the pub to publicise his new biography, show people videos of his fights and answer questions on his boxing career.
Landlord Jim Thorpe, a boxing fan, said he was thrilled to have had the local legend in the pub.
"The evening went really well," he said. "We had a good turnout and it was a good night.
"A video of his fight against Joey Singleton was shown, so people had a chance to see the way he used to fight, then he spent time answering questions and signing copies of his book."
Dave 'Boy' Green enjoyed considerable success during his career, which spanned from December 1974 to November 1981.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 7 Emergency bananas rescue man's 875-mile solo cycle challenge
- 8 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 9 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
During that time he took part in 41 professional fights and won 37. Twenty-nine of his victories came inside the distance.
His most dramatic loss was against Sugar Ray Leonard, with whom Dave 'Boy' Green fought for the WBC Welterweight Championship in March 1980.
The Fen Tiger's biography, Fen Tiger: The Success of Dave 'Boy' Green, is on sale now.